Managing COPD in a Skilled Nursing facility
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is an umbrella term for a variety of progressive lung diseases including emphysema, chronic bronchitis, refractory asthma and cystic fibrosis.
COPD in SNF’s
“Approximately 20 percent of skilled nursing facility residents have a diagnosis of COPD and it is the third leading cause of death in the US.
COPD is often under-diagnosed and under-treated and medication adherence is poor. Physical and cognitive functions required to self-administer medications decline with age”.
JAMDA: COPD in Post-acute/long term care settings.
How do we “break the COPD-RTH chain” ?
Breaking the COPD Readmission “Chain”
On-Site Weekly Pulmonary Program for COPD
• Respiratory Therapist on-site weekly or as needed based on acuity level of patients.
• Pulmonary Assessments on admission based on Pulmonologist approved protocols based on risk of readmission.
• Specialized Diagnostic Equipment Included
• Qualifying Dx includes but not limited to COPD, Pneumonia, Acute Respiratory Distress and Post Covid-19 Lung.
• Program proven to reduce readmission and provide positive impact on CMI, PDPM and reduction in possible CMS readmission penalties.
Program provides basis for “add-on” innovative pulmonary programs.
• RT Team will review each patient weekly and recommend changes to individual treatment care plans as needed under Medical Director supervision
SNF Benefits of Pulmonary Program
Bedside Spirometry (Optional)
On-Site Sleep Studies (Optional)
Pulmonary Program Diagnostic Components
Overnight Pulse Oximetry | CPAP/BiPAP for OSA
SNF On-Site Weekly Pulmonary Program